The mighty mung bean, high in vitamin C, is one of the best sources of protein, that promote healthy blood sugar levels and are low in cholesterol. Brown rice, rich in fiber and magnesium, also contains the mineral silica which slows down aging. See recipe below for homemade vegetable broth and soup.
1 organic red onion
3-4 organic garlic cloves
4 cups of water (fluoride-free)*
1/4 cup of organic virgin olive oil
1-2 organic celery stalks
2 organic carrots
1 organic leeks
5-6 organic thyme stems
1 cup of organic mung beans (soaked for at least 24 hours)
3-4 organic kelp leaves (soaked in water)
1. Boil 4 cups of water.
2. Chop celery, leeks and carrots.
3. Add celery, leeks, thyme (2 stems) and carrots into water as well as 1/4 cup of olive oil.
4. Add 1 tsp of salt and pepper.
5. Cook at medium-low heat once water comes to a boil. (This will be used as the vegetable broth for the soup.)
6. Let broth cook in medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
7. Chop onions and garlic into small pieces and let sit for 5 minutes. This will allow you to get their hidden health benefits.
8. Heat a frying pan and add olive oil.
9. Add onions and garlic to frying pan, mixing them for about 4-5 minutes. Then set aside.
10. Drain broth into a large bowl and discard of vegetables in broth.
11. In a clean soup pot, add hot vegetable broth, chopped soaked kelp, garlic and onions and simmer at low heat.
12. Blend soaked mung beans. (we use an electric hand blender)and then add to broth.
13. Add thyme leaves, salt and pepper and continue stirring.
14. Heat for another 10 minutes at low heat.
15. Serve and Enjoy!
*Fluoride contains a high concentration of toxins and heavy metals such as arsenic, lead and chromium. All proven to be carcinogens. Information from: http://www.nofluoride.com/
UPDATE: Rice should be pre soaked for 24 hours.