Portobello mushrooms contain selenium, an important mineral for optimal antioxidant activity which also helps in DNA repair of the body.The micronutrients found in Portobello mushrooms include iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc. Unlike many other foods, most of the antioxidant level in mushrooms is not destroyed by cooking!
Below: Asparagus and Portobello Mushroom with Brown Rice topped with Poached Egg... Mmmm
1 organic red onion
1 cup of organic short grain brown rice
1 organic red pepper
2 tbsp of organic virgin olive oil
2 large organic portobello mushrooms2 cups of water (fluoride-free)*
3-4 organic garlic cloves
5 organic asparagus shoots
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Chop red pepper and portobello mushrooms (your choice of size) and set aside.
4. Place asparagus shoots in a glass oven pan and add some water at the bottom.
5. Place asparagus in oven for about 10 minutes. This will soften the asparagus until we ready to add it to the rice. (You can choose to steam the asparagus instead of this method).
6. Heat pan at medium- low heat and add organic olive oil (2 tbs).
7. Add chopped onions and garlic and fry for about 4-5 min.
8. Add 1 cup of short grain brown rice (rinse rice first) to the onions.
9. Then add mushrooms.
10. Mix rice and onion, mushrooms and garlic for another 4-5 minutes, lightly frying ingredients.
11. Add 2 cups of water to the rice mix and stir.
12. Add red peppers, thyme and salt and pepper.
13. Stir and let sit at medium -low heat for 35- 40 minutes, occasionally stiring.
14. Don't forget to take out asparagus after 10 minutes from oven. Let sit.
15. When rice is almost done, chop the asparagus into parts and add to the rice.
16. Check for flavor, add salt if necessary.
17. In a separate pan, boil water.
18. Crack 2 eggs in a small bowl. Set aside.
19. Using a utensil, stir the water to create a whirlpool effect.
20. Add eggs and heat for 2-3 minutes.
21. Serve rice on a plate, leaving a little well to hold the poached egg in place.
22. Remove eggs and place on top of rice dish.
23. Serve and Enjoy!
*Fluoride contains a high concentration of toxins and heavy metals such as arsenic, lead and chromium. All proven to be carcinogens. Information from: http://www.nofluoride.com/
UPDATE: Rice should be pre-soaked over night (8 hours minimum, 24 hours for best results)