Leeks are a nutritious winter vegetable perfect for this April chill. They have a unique combination of flavonoids and sulfur-containing nutrients. Leeks are an excellent source of vitamin A and anti-inflammatory vitamin K. They are a very good source of bone-building manganese as well as heart-healthy vitamin C, folate and vitamin B6.
1-2 organic celery stalks
2 medium sized organic carrots
2 organic shallots
4-6 organic garlic cloves
2 tsp organic virgin olive oil
2 cup of organic cauliflower (chopped)
2 organic yellow potatoes
6 strips of organic leeks
8 cups of flouride-free water*
1. Preheat oven at 300 degrees.
2. Boil 8 cups of flouride-free water in a soup pot.
3. Chop celery, 2 strips of leeks, thyme and carrots and add to water.
4. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tsp of salt and some pepper to water.
5. Continue to cook at medium-low heat once water comes to a boil. (This will be used as the vegetable broth for the soup. If you choose to have chicken broth, repeat the same process and throw in the chicken carcass (no need to add the olive oil).
6. Let broth cook in medium-low heat for 30 minutes (45 minutes if you are making chicken broth).
7. Place chopped cauliflower in a glass oven pan with very little fluoride-free water and a pinch of salt.
8. Heat in oven for 5 minutes. (You could choose to steam cauliflower instead of this method).
9. Chop potatoes and place in a pot and boil for 10 -15 minutes. (Chopping potatoes will cut down the cooking time).
10. Chop remaining leeks, garlic and shallots into small pieces and let sit for 5 minutes (allowing it to sit for 5 - 10 minutes can help provide an anti-bacterial benefit).
11. Heat a frying pan at low heat and add olive oil.
12. Lightly fry the garlic, leeks and shallots for about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
13. Drain broth into a bowl and discard of vegetables in broth (discard chicken carcass for chicken broth).
14. Place cauliflower, potato and leeks in a mixing bowl, once ready.
15. Add about 1/2 cup of broth to the mixing bowl and begin mashing all ingredients. (We use an electric hand blender for this).
16. In a clean soup pot, pour the remaining hot vegetable broth/chicken broth (from the bowl) and simmer at low heat.
17. Add mashed ingredients to chicken broth.
18. Stir in medium heat for 5 minutes (broth should still be warm).
19. Add salt and pepper for added flavour.
20. Serve and enjoy good healthy eating!
*Fluoride contains a high concentration of toxins and heavy metals such as arsenic, lead and chromium. All proven to be carcinogens. Information from: http://www.nofluoride.com/