Red bell peppers are packed with antioxidants and are an excellent source of vitamin C - they provide 117 milligrams per cup, which is more than twice the amount of vitamin C found in an orange. They are also a great source of vitamin B6 and magnesium and are high in vitamin A, which helps to support healthy eyesight. Lentils are a great source of B vitamins, most notably folate and niacin (B3). B vitamins are important for the healthy functioning of the nervous, digestive and immune systems. They contain high levels of folate and magnesium which aid in protecting the heart. Lentils are also loaded with iron and packed with protein!
Veggie Stuffed Red Peppers with Lentils Recipe
2 organic red bell peppers
1 cup of organic lentils
2 organic garlic cloves
1 organic red onion (small)
1 organic celery stalk
1 organic carrot
1 happy free-range chicken egg
3-4 organic white button mushrooms
5-6 organic oyster mushrooms
Organic Italian parsley
Organic extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil water, add lentils and cook for about 20-30 minutes.
3. Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Chop celery, carrots and mushrooms. Set aside.
5. Heat a frying pan at medium- low heat and add extra virgin olive oil.
6. Throw onions and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes
7. Add the celery, carrots and mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
8. Cut out the top part of the red peppers and discard of the stems.
9. Clean out the inside, removing all the seeds.
10. Drain the lentils (once lentils are softened) and throw them in a mixing bowl.
11. Add the remaining ingredients in mixing bowl and mix them together, adding salt and pepper.
12. In a small bowl, blend the egg.
13. Add egg to the mixing bowl and continue mixing all ingredients.
14. Scoop out the mix and stuff the red peppers, all the way to the top.
15. Place in oven rack for 20-30 minutes, depending on how roasted you like the peppers.
16. Remove from oven, add fresh Italian parsley on top.
17. Serve and enjoy!