Vegetable shepherd's pie with steamed vegetables, covered with a yellow potato mash... yummy.
1-2 organic shallots
1 organic leeks
3-4 organic garlic cloves
3-4 large organic yellow potatoes
6-7 organic asparagus shoots
2 tbsp of organic virgin olive oil
2 tsp of organic coconut oil
1 cup of organic cauliflower
3 medium sized portobello mushrooms
2 free-range happy chicken eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Chop garlic, leeks and shallots and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Boil water.
4. Chop potatoes and add to water.
5. Chop portobello mushrooms (your choice of size).
6. Thinly slice the cauliflower. Set aside.
7. Place asparagus shoots in a glass oven pan and add some fluoride-free water at the bottom.
8. Place in oven for about 5 minutes. This will soften the asparagus until we ready to add it to the mix. (You can choose to steam the asparagus instead of this method).
9. Heat a pan at medium- low heat and add organic olive oil.
10. Add chopped leeks, shallots, mushrooms and garlic and lightly fry for about 4-5 min.
11. Once potatoes are softened, remove them and place them in a mixing bowl.
12. Add 2 eggs and the coconut oil to a mixing bowl and mash everything. You can use a hand masher - it works really well (see image below).
13. Line the bottom of a 9" glass oven pan with the thin slices of cauliflower.
14. Chop the asparagus and add as a layer on top of the cauliflower.
15. Continue adding layers, adding the mushrooms, garlic, leeks and shallots.
16. Scoop the mashed potatoes on top to form a covering layer.
17. Bake for 20- 30 minutes.
18. Serve and enjoy a warmth of flavour!