One of our favorite meals is green curry chicken with rice. The spices in green curry paste are very healthy! Every since we stopped eating out, due to the lack of healthy organic food in restaurants, we have been craving to make it. We have limited experience in Asian cooking and when we gathered up our ingredients, we realized we didn't have a key ingredient- lemon grass. We decided to be brave and try to make it anyway with what we had. We looked through many recipes and began preparation. The results were unbelievably successful and worth sharing! The recipe can only get better from here, once we have all the ingredients together for next time! (see recipe below) Enjoy!
Green Curry Chicken With Brown Rice Recipe
Green curry paste (pre-prepare these ingredients, you may need a mortar and pestle)
∙ 1 tbsp organic curry leaves (ground)
∙ 2 tbsp organic coriander seeds (lightly fried- dry, and then ground)
∙ 2 tbsp organic cumin powder
∙ 1 tbsp organic turmeric powder
∙ sea salt
∙ black organic pepper
∙ 1 inch of organic ginger root (finely chopped)
∙ 2 small organic shallots (finely chopped)
∙ 3 large organic garlic cloves (finely chopped)
∙ 4 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil (or peanut oil)
∙ 2 tbsp of lemon juice (or lime)
Rice and chicken
∙ 2 organic shallots
∙ 1 organic red onion
∙ 4 large organic garlic cloves
∙ 1-2 organic carrot(s)
∙ organic extra virgin olive oil
∙ 1 cup of organic short grain brown rice (pre-soaked for 8-24 hours)
∙ 2 1/4 cups of water (fluoride free)
∙ 1 organic zucchini
∙ 300 ml of natural/organic coconut milk*
∙ 2 happy free-run grass-fed chicken breasts (certified organic)
1. In a small mixing bowl, add all green curry paste ingredients (ground curry leaves, ground coriander seeds, ground cumin powder, ground turmeric powder, salt, pepper, chopped ginger, chopped shallots, chopped garlic, oil and lemon juice.
2. Using a hand blender, blend all ingredients to make a paste. Set aside.
3. Chop shallots, red onion and garlic cloves into small pieces. Set aside for 5 minutes. (rice and chicken ingredients)
4. Chop carrot(s), and zucchini into small pieces and set aside.
5. Heat a medium pot at medium-low heat and add some extra virgin olive oil.
6. Add 1/2 of the chopped shallots, all the red onion, 1/2 of the chopped garlic and carrots to the pot and lightly fry for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Add rice to pot and continue frying for another 2-3 minutes.
8. Add 2 1/4 cups of water to the rice mix and stir.
9. Add zucchini to the rice mix and continue stirring for about 2 minutes. The rice should take about 35-40 minutes to cook. Stir occasionally.
10. Heat a large deep frying pan, at medium-low heat and add some extra virgin olive oil.
11. Add the remaining half of the shallots and garlic to the oil and lightly fry for about 2-3 minutes.
12. Add the green curry paste and lightly fry for 1 minute.
13. Add the coconut milk to the pan and stir for about 2-3 minutes, until even. (see pic here.)
14. Add the chicken breasts to the coconut milk and green curry and cook for about 30 minutes or until ready. You can cut breasts into 2 pieces each.
15. Every 5-10 minutes, flip the chicken breasts and bathe them with the coconut milk and green curry.
16. Check on rice and stir occasionally.
17. Once chicken and rice are cooked, place them on a plate, side by side.
18. Pour the green curry and coconut milk over top of the chicken and over some of the rice.
19. Serve and Enjoy!
* To make coconut milk:
1. Drain the water from a natural coconut and set it aside.
2. Crack open the coconut and break it into pieces.
3. Juice the coconut meat (once removed from coconut shell).4. Mix an equal (150 ml each) amount of coconut water (previously drained) and coconut cream to provide you with the 300 ml necessary for the recipe above. (If there is more coconut cream than water, you can add store bought coconut water to complete.)