This recipe was inspired by the 'Grilled Marinated Fish with Tropical Salsa and Coconut Rice', found on the Food network website. The recipe below is our own. Enjoy!
fish and rice
1 large organic red onion
3-4 organic garlic cloves
1 organic wild leek
1 cup of organic gluten free short grain brown rice
handful of organic Italian parsley
organic extra virgin olive oil
2 cups of natural/organic coconut milk*
1 tsp of organic honey
2 speckled trouts**
1 piece of organic lemon
1 organic tomato
2 organic Italian parsley stems
1 small organic red onion
Directions: (Start with fish and rice ingredients)
1. Chop onion, garlic and wild leek. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Rinse rice and leave in strainer to drain. Set aside.
3. Finely chop the handful of parsley. Set aside.
4. Cut ginger into thin strips and then into smaller pieces. Set aside.
5. Heat a medium sized sauce pan at low heat and add some extra virgin olive oil.
6. Add garlic and 3/4 amount of the chopped onions to pan and mix occasionally for 2 minutes.
7. Add rice to the pan and continue to mix together, lightly frying ingredients.
8. Continue to mix for 3 minutes.
9. Pour coconut milk into pan and boil at medium- low heat.
10. Add 3/4 amount of the chopped Italian parsley, honey, some sea salt and pepper. Stir.
11. Cook for about 30-40 minutes.
12. In the meantime, wash fish and set aside
13. In a glass oven dish, add 1/2 of the remaining parsley and 1/2 of the remaining onion.
14. Place fish on top of parsley and onion side by side.
15. Top fish off with the wild leek and the remaining parsley and onion.
16. Then squeeze the lemon juice on top.
17. Place in oven after rice has been cooking for 20 minutes.
18. Bake fish for about 15-20 minutes.
19. Continue to stir rice from time to time, you will see the coconut milk start to thicken.
20. Chop tomato, parsley and onions into small pieces, for salsa mix.
21. Add them to a small bowl and add some salt and pepper. Set aside.
22. Continue stirring rice occasionally until ready.
23. Remove fish from oven when it's ready.
24. Once rice is ready, turn off heat and remove pan from burner. Rice should be moist.
25. On a plate, scoop up the rice and create a bed of rice.
26. Using a spatula place fish on top of the rice.
27. Finally, top off with some salsa.
28. Eat and Enjoy!
* We made our coconut milk by cracking open a natural coconut, breaking it into pieces and then juicing it. We then added organic coconut water to complete. (1 cup of each to supply us with the 2 cups necessary for the recipe above.)
**We buy our speckled trout/char from Kolapore Springs, a fish farm that harvests freshwater shrimp to be used as supplements for the fish they farm. Very healthy and tasty fish!
UPDATE: Rice should be pre soaked over night (8 hours or so)
Below: Update on the growth of our indoor tomato plants. We will be transferring them into their own pots soon!