We love pizza! But it's hard to make when you are on a dairy-free diet. It's not the same without the cheese, specially because the toppings don't stay on! Today we created a delicious thin crust pizza recipe with an excellent substitute for cheese. Since we love the sweetness of yams, we made a zucchini and yam pizza with a healthy gluten free crust, homemade tomato sauce, spinach, leeks, garlic and the main ingredient to bring it all together - happy free range chicken eggs! If you are on a dairy free diet you should give this recipe a try. The egg acts as a binding agent (like cheese) and adds more flavor to your pizza. (see recipe below)
Zucchini and Yam Thin Crust Pizza Recipe
Makes 2 - 8"x 6" crustsIngredients for crust:
1/2 cup of organic brown rice flour
1/4 cup of organic green pea flour (you can substitute with rice flour)
1/2 cup of organic natural shredded coconut
2 tbsp of organic flax seed meal
2 tbsp of organic hemp seeds
2 tbsp of organic quick oats
sea salt for flavor
1 large happy free range chicken egg
2 tbsp of organic coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp of water (fluoride free)
homemade tomato sauce
organic leeks (chopped)
organic garlic (chopped)
organic yams (sliced thinly)
organic spinach (shredded)
organic hot peppers
organic zucchini (sliced)
2 happy free range chicken eggs
1. Preheat oven at 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix brown rice flour, green pea flour, shredded coconut, flax seed meal, hemp seeds, quick oats and sea salt. Mix really well. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg, water and the coconut oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry, mix well.
5. With your hands, begin to mould the mix into a dough and split apart into 2 pieces.
6. Place some rice flour on a flat surface and begin to roll out dough, flipping the pressed dough back and forth until it's flat enough.
7. Cut the edges of the dough to create a rectangle shape.
8. Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Repeat process on the second piece of dough.
9. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes and then remove from oven.
10. With an egg brush, brush some coconut oil on top of the bread.
11. Add homemade tomato sauce.
12. Top pizza with ingredients.
13. In a small bowl, crack 2 eggs and beat.
14. Pour egg mixture evenly over top of each pizza.
15. Place in oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
16. Serve and enjoy!