When we stopped eating chocolate, but wanted to have some chocolate chips, we discovered the closest thing to it was carob chips. Carob chips taste just like chocolate but are highly nutritious. Unfortunately we have not been able to find any organic carob chips so we haven't had any for quite some time. We were inspired to make double chocolate chunk cookies but were trying to figure out how we could make cacao chunks from cacao powder. With some imagination, we created our own homemade raw cacao chips. (see recipe below)
Below: Organic double cacao chunk cookies and oatmeal cacao chunk cookies made with homemade rice milk and gluten free flours. Yummy!
The photos below are from today's walk in the park, taken just in time before another rainfall here in Toronto. Enjoy!
Homemade Cacao Chunks Recipe
Makes enough chunks for 16 cookiesIngredients:
∙ 6 tbsp of organic raw cacao powder
∙ 6 organic pitted prunes
∙ 1 heaping tbsp of organic coconut cream*
1. Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
2. Hand blend all ingredients until it is mixed evenly. There may be bits of prunes after blending.
3. Scoop out the cacao mix and place on parchment paper.
4. Fold parchment paper over top of the cacao mix and lightly flatten out the cacao mix into a rectangular or square shape. Fold in remaining corners of the parchment paper to seal it.
5. Place in freezer for a few hours, or until hardened completely.
6. Unwrap parchment paper and chop cacao bar into desired pieces. (once your cookie dough is prepared and in a mixing bowl)
7. Throw in cacao chunks into cookie dough and mix lightly.
*Coconut cream is the coconut meat that we juice in the juicer. It is not coconut milk.
Double Cacao Chunk Cookies Recipe∙ 1/2 cup of organic brown rice flour
Makes 10 cookies
Makes 10 cookies
∙ 3 tbsp of organic coconut flour
∙ 1/4 cup of organic raw cacao powder
∙ 1 1/2 tbsp organic vanilla bean powder
∙ 1/2 tsp of organic baking soda
∙ 1 tbsp of organic black chia seed powder
∙ pinch of sea salt
∙ 3 tbsp of organic coconut palm powder/nectar
∙ 2 tbsp of organic coconut oil (melted)
∙ 2 happy free range chicken eggs
∙ 4 tbsp organic peanut butter
∙ organic homemade cacao bar (see recipe above)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients first. (Mix well) Set aside.
3. Beat eggs in a small mixing bowl with melted coconut oil.
4. Add eggs to dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Add peanut butter to ingredients and continue mixing.
6. From freezer, remove your homemade cacao bar.
7. Chop up bar into different pieces and add your cacao chunks to the mix. (we used about 1/2 cup of chunks)
8. Mix lightly, making sure the chunks are distributed throughout the mix.
9. Using a spoon, scoop out 10 even pieces of cookie dough and place them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
10. Using a utensil, press down slightly to form cookies.
11. Place cookies in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and let cool.
13. Eat and enjoy!