Pre-soaking flour overnight is important in order to break down enzyme inhibitors so nutrients can become available for us to have, making it easier to digest. This applies to gluten free flour as well. We decided to put this into practice and pre-soaked some flour for 24 hours. We chose to make two types of crêpes - fruit and vegetable. For the fruit crêpes, we added strawberries, honey and pre-soaked nuts after baking the crêpes. For the vegetable recipe, we decided to make red onion, garlic and zucchini crêpes that we baked in the oven with the ingredients. Two different flavors and both very tasty! (see recipe for plain crêpes below)
Plain Crêpes Recipe:
Makes 6 crêpes (oven baked)
Preparing flour:Mix 1 cup of organic gluten free flour(s) with 1 cup of spring water and a tsp of organic lemon extract/juice (we squeezed part of a lemon). Mix well. Place in a sealed container and let sit for 24 hours.
Ingredients for crêpes:
∙ Pre-soaked flour (we used gluten free brown rice flour)
∙ 2 tbsp of organic flax seed
∙ 1/2 cup of natural shredded coconut*
∙ pinch of sea salt
∙ 3 tbsp of organic coconut oil (melted)
∙ 2 happy free range chicken eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a large mixing bowl, add pre-soaked flour, flax seeds, shredded coconut and sea salt. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs with coconut oil.
4. Add egg mix to flour mix and stir well.
5. In 2 round 9" glass oven pans, pour batter, enough to make a very thin layer.
6. Place pans in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. (You will have to repeat this process 3 times or you can use a frying pan and fry each crêpes).
7. Once crêpes are completed, you can add your own favorite ingredients. If you want to try vegetable crêpes, just add the vegetables to the batter in the pan before baking. Enjoy!
*We make our own coconut milk, here at home, by juicing the coconut meat in a juicer. When we do this, we save the shredded coconut left behind from the juicer because it still holds about 20% of the milk/liquid. We store the shredded coconut in the freezer and use it for baking.