In earlier posts we mentioned the importance of pre-soaking grains, seeds, nuts and even flour! When you pre-soak grains, nuts and seeds, you are releasing nutrients and enzymes that allow you to digest food more easily. We pre-soaked some oats for 24 hours and created a new recipe for muffins, using coconut flour. Unlike other flours, coconut flour does not need to be soaked because it is neither a grain or nut. We were inspired by BakerStreet to create 'Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins'. We don't use most of the ingredients the recipe called for so we had to do our own rendition with coconut flour (see recipe below). We also baked a new version of our Oats and Shredded Coconut Cookies made with pre-soaked brown rice flour (recipe coming soon). Enjoy!
Below: NEW Oats and Shredded Coconut Cookies and Apple Cinnamon Oats Muffins'.
Apple Cinnamon Oats Muffin Recipe
Makes 8 mini muffins
∙ 1/4 cup of organic rolled oats (pre-soaked for at least 8 hours)
∙ 1 tbsp of coconut palm powder/sugar
∙ 1/2 tbsp organic cinnamon
∙ 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
∙ 1/4 organic granny smith apple (you'll need 1 apple for the entire recipe)
1/2 cup of organic coconut flour
1/2 tsp of organic baking soda
1 1/2 tbsp of organic cinnamon
1/2 cup of organic shredded coconut
2 tbsp of organic flax seed meal
pinch of sea salt
3 tbsp of coconut palm powder/sugar
1/4 cup of organic coconut oil (melted)
3 happy free range chicken eggs
3/4 organic granny smith apple
Directions: (Start with muffin ingredients)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients first. (Mix well) Set aside.
3. Mix coconut oil, and eggs in a small mixing bowl. Then add to dry ingredients.
4. Mix all ingredients well until crumbly.
5. Peel the apple skins and remove core. Toss the core and eat the apple skins. (There is lots of nutrition on the apple skins and it will provide you with some enzymes you need to digest this treat.)
6. Dice apple and place 3/4 worth of chunks into the large mixing bowl.
7. Mix crumbly dough with the apples.
8. In a small mixing bowl, add the soaked oats, shredded coconut, sugar, cinnamon and remaining apple chunks. Mix well. The moisture from the soaked oats should somewhat bind the ingredients together. Set aside.
9. Separate dough into 8 parts. Using a spoon, scoop out each part and place in muffin tray.
10. Top off each muffin with the crumbly oats mixture, evenly.
11. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top and edges are brown.12. Remove from oven and let cool.
13. Serve and enjoy!
Optional: Add some pre-soaked chopped nuts on top, once baked, for additional health benefits and enzymes!