Yams are a good source of vitamin B6, potassium and fiber! We love to add them to our rice dishes for it's sweet flavor. Ever since we began pre-soaking our gluten free brown rice, we have enjoyed our dishes even more than before, without feeling bloated. We recommend pre-soaking your brown rice for 24-48 hours in the fridge. We made Yummy Yams and Shiitake Mushrooms with Brown Rice and the results are amazing! (see recipe below)
Yams and Shiitake Mushrooms with Brown Rice Recipe
∙ 4 organic garlic cloves
∙ 1 small organic red onion
∙ 8-10 large organic shiitake mushrooms
∙ 1 organic yam
∙ organic sunflower oil
∙ 1 cup of organic gluten free long grain brown rice (pre-soaked for 24-48 hours)
∙ 2 cups of water (fluoride-free is best)
∙ sea salt
∙ organic black pepper
1. Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Chop mushrooms and dice yams. Set aside.
3. Heat pan at medium heat and add sunflower oil.
4. Add chopped onions and garlic and fry for about 3 min.
5. Add long grain brown rice to the onions. Then add mushrooms.
6. Mix rice, mushroom and onion mix for another minute, lightly frying ingredients.
7. Add 2 cups of water to the rice mix and stir.
8. Add diced yams and salt and pepper.
9. Stir and let sit at medium -low heat for 40- 45 minutes (until rice absorbs water), occasionally stirring.
10. Once ready, serve and enjoy!
Note: If you have pre-soaked for 48 hours, you don't need to add as much water to boil the rice. We use 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup of water for 1 cup of brown rice if it's been soaking for 48 hours in fridge.Also, 1 cup of rice after soaking will give you about 1 1/2 cups of rice.