Until we decide to go on a grain free diet, we are pre-soaking our rice and lentils for 24 hours prior to cooking. Pre-soaking grains, seeds and nuts releases enzymes that are needed for digesting. Even though we still have grains in our diet we make sure to have a good portion of raw foods daily. Our recipes always consist of raw and cooked foods or simply raw! Our latest recipe is Vegetarian 'Meatloaf'. We cooked our gluten free brown rice and lentils with some vegetables and topped it off with a new tasty raw tomato sauce! The loaf is tender and flavorful. See recipe below. Enjoy!
NEW- GRAIN FREE RECIPE!
Vegetarian 'Meatloaf' Recipe
∙ 1/2 cup organic French green lentils (pre-soaked for 24 hours and drained)
∙ sea salt
∙ 4 large organic garlic cloves
∙ 1/2 small organic red onion
∙ 2 organic shallots
∙ 1 organic eggplant
∙ 8-10 organic shiitake mushrooms
∙ 1 large organic carrot (or 2 small)
∙ bunch organic Italian parsley (or cilantro)
∙ 1-2 tbsp of organic coconut oil
∙ 1 tbsp organic sun dried tomatoes (chop to measure)
∙ 1-2 happy free range chicken eggs
∙ organic black pepper
∙ organic cumin powder
Homemade Tomato sauce recipe
1. In a medium sized pan, bring water to a boil.
2. Add lentils and cook for about 20 minutes until lentils are ready. Set aside once ready.
3. On a chopping board, chop garlic, onion and shallots and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven at 325 degrees F.
5. Cut eggplant into slices, top off with salt and bake for about 5-10 minutes. Once ready, set aside.
6. Chop mushrooms and set aside.
7. Pulse chop carrots and parsley in a food processor and set aside.
8. In a small frying pan, at medium low heat, add coconut oil.
9. Add mushrooms, garlic and onions (red, shallots )to pan and fry for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
10. Once lentils are ready, add them to a large mixing bowl. (Drain any remaining water first.)
11. Add eggplant slices, mushrooms, garlic, onions, salt, pepper, cumin powder, sun dried tomatoes, carrots and parsley into mixing bowl and mix well.
12. Using a hand blender, pulse blend all ingredients. Taste and make adjustments.
13. Add an egg to mixture and mix again.
14. Add mixture to a loaf pan and bake for about 10 minutes or until browned. (Make sure to flatten out the top of the mix before baking).
15. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
16. Cut into slices and place on a plate.
17. Top off with tomato sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Below: Updated vegetarian meatloaf (Eggplant version)