'Tis the season for homemade gluten free gingerbread cookies. Our simple cookie recipe is made with freshly ground ginger! Ginger boosts immunity and has anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. It can reduce muscle pains and soreness due to these anti-inflammatory benefits. It can help with digestion and improve brain function through the use of it's antioxidants and bioactive compounds. We included the spices nutmeg and cinnamon. Cinnamon has anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties! We also pre-soaked our flour for 24 hours prior to baking in order to release the enzyme inhibitors in processed flour. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
Makes 16 gingerbread men cookies
∙ 1 cup of organic gluten free brown rice flour (*pre-soaked for 24 hours)
∙ 1 tbsp of baking soda
∙ 1 1/2 tsp of fresh organic ginger powder (dehydrate slices of ginger root for a few hours and grind using a mortar and pestle)
∙ 1 tsp of organic ground cinnamon
∙ 1/4 tsp of organic nutmeg powder
∙ pinch of pink Himalayan salt
∙ 1 tbsp of organic chia seed powder (optional)
∙ 2 tbsp of organic honey or coconut palm sugar
∙ 2 tbsp of organic virgin coconut oil
∙ 1 tbsp of fluoride-free water
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Mix dry ingredients first.
3. Add coconut oil and water to dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Place dough in small parts on parchment paper and flatten it out with the palm of hand.
5. Use gingerbread cookie cutter to cut out 2 at a time.
6. Lift parchment paper with cookies and place upside over a cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper) so that the cookies peel off (onto the cookie sheet below) and stay in one piece. (Don't attempt to pick the cookies off the parchment paper because they are too thin and will fall apart.)7. Repeat step 4-6 until dough is finished.
8. Place in oven and bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until edges are browned.
9. Remove from oven and let cool.
10. Serve and enjoy!
*To pre-soak flour, add 1 cup of organic brown rice flour and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well. You may need to add another 1tbsp of water. Place dough in a sealed container and store in fridge for 24-48 hours. Once, ready, it will produce 1 and 1/2 cups of flour. To use, crumble flour in hand and measure amount needed for recipes.