Artichokes protect the liver from damage by stimulating the production of bile in the liver, that aids in the process of digestion. They are high in antioxidant and phytonutrients that protect and repair cells from free radical damage or oxidation! Adding herbs and spices to foods are beneficial to our health. Thyme contains beneficial antibacterial properties that help prevent contamination of foods. Lemon and Thyme Artichokes are healthy and very tasty! We found that steaming is the best way to cook them. Try them out with our green curry sauce made with homemade coconut milk. Enjoy!
∙ 2 organic artichokes (prepared for cooking, sliced lengthwise in half)
∙ 1 organic lemon
∙ bunch of organic thyme
∙ 2-3 cups of fluoride free water
∙ Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
∙ organic black pepper (to taste)
∙ 3 large organic garlic cloves
∙ 1 small organic red onion
∙ 1/2 cup of organic oyster mushrooms
Green Curry Sauce Ingredients:
(you will need a mortar and pestle)
∙ 1 tbsp organic curry leaves (ground in mortar and pestle)
∙ 2 tbsp organic coriander seeds (lightly fried - dry, and then ground in mortar and pestle)
∙ 2 tbsp organic cumin powder
∙ 1 tbsp organic turmeric powder
∙ sea salt
∙ black organic pepper
∙ 4 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil (or peanut oil)
∙ 2 tbsp of lemon juice (or lime)
∙ 300 ml of homemade natural/organic coconut milk*
1. Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 10 min.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add 2-3 cups of water.
3. Add 3/4 of the lemon to water and then add sliced artichokes. Click here to see a video on how to cut an artichoke.
4. Let artichokes sit in bowl for 2 minutes and then remove.
5. Add salt and steam until tender.
6. Chop mushrooms and set aside.
7. In a small mixing bowl, add ground curry leaves, ground coriander seeds, ground cumin powder, ground turmeric powder, salt, pepper, oil and lemon juice.8. Using a hand blender, blend all ingredients to make a paste.
9. Add coconut milk and blend again. Set aside.
10. Lightly fry garlic and onions, then mushrooms for 5 minutes with coconut oil.
11. Set mushrooms aside and add onion and garlic to container and blend again to complete your green curry sauce.
12. Add mushrooms to green curry sauce and mix well.
13. Once artichokes are ready, place them on 2 plates.
14. Add fresh thyme and a slice of lemon on top of artichoke. Set aside.
15. In a small bowl, add green curry sauce.
16. Serve with artichokes and enjoy!
* To make coconut milk:
1. Drain the water from a natural coconut and set it aside.
2. Crack open the coconut and break it into pieces.
3. Juice the coconut meat (once removed from coconut shell).
4. Mix an equal (150 ml each) amount of coconut water (previously drained) and coconut cream to provide you with the 300 ml necessary for the recipe above. (If there is more coconut cream than water, you can add store bought coconut water to complete.)