Monday, June 12, 2017

Creamy Coconut Milk Chickpeas with Spinach

It's been a while since I have posted a recipe but I've been inspired lately to create new dishes. I have switched from a 90% raw food diet to about 65-75%. Unfortunately this is partly due to my budget, but also my curiosity to experiment with more cooked foods. I cannot wait to grow my own food and get back to more raw food eating and organic fresh foods. I am still preparing healthy meals, some organic and some non organic - again, due to budget. I refer to the dirty dozen list so I can avoid buying toxic non-organic foods. I am going to be preparing more vegetarian meals that focus on different nutrients and vitamins that we need in or order to stay healthy. For this recipe, my focus is Iron and Vitamin C. Vitamin C increases iron absorption, so it should be taken into consideration when preparing iron rich foods. Spinach, Chick Peas and other Leafy Green vegetables are a good source of iron. Tomatoes along with Citrus and Leafy Green vegetables are a good source of Vitamin C. There are other foods that contain both iron and Vitamin C, however I am focusing on the foods I just mentioned because they are the main ingredients of my recipe. Chickpeas also contain protein, fiber and other nutrients. Turmeric heals wounds, balances blood sugar, encourages normal lipid levels, supports the stomach lining and more! Check out my delicious recipe below for good health...



Creamy Coconut Milk Chickpeas with Spinach Recipe
Makes 2-3 servings
Ingredients:
∙ 2 cups of chickpeas (pre-soaked for 24-48 hours, sprouted and organic best)
∙ 4-5 cups of water (fluoride-free)
∙ 6-8 organic garlic cloves (3-4 for boiling and 3-4 for frying)
∙ 1 small organic red onion (1/2 for boiling and 1/2 for frying)
∙ 2 tbsp organic coconut oil (for frying)
∙ 3/4 cup of coconut milk
∙ 1-2 tbsp organic Turmeric powder
∙ Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
∙ Bunch of organic spinach
∙ 4 heads of bok choy
∙ 1/2 lemon
∙ 1 tomato - local (diced)

Directions:
1. Drain pre-soaked chickpeas
2. Chop onions and garlic, set aside.
3. Add salt, chickpeas, garlic (3-4 cloves) and red onion(1/2) in fluoride-free water and bring the water to a boil, reduce to a slow simmer
4. Cook until the beans are tender. (may take up to 3 hours)
5. Once chick peas are cooked, remove from stove and set aside. (I did not drain the water because most was evaporated and it contains nutrients.
6. In a frying pan, add coconut oil and at low heat fry bok choy, onions and garlic for about 1-2 minutes
7. Add coconut milk to onions and garlic and keep at low heat
8. Add turmeric powder and salt and stir
9. Add chickpeas and continue stirring for about 2 minutes (I tried to mash some of the chick peas while stirring)
10. Remove from heat
11. Wash spinach and set aside.
12. In a mixing bowl, add diced tomato and spinach.
13. Squeeze lemon into bowl an mix well.
14. Add chickpeas (with all the ingredients in pot) to mixing bowl and mix well.

Note: I do not cook the tomatoes because cooked tomatoes become acidic and are bad for us. I also did not cook the spinach because I did not want to lose the enzymes. (The tomatoes and spinach will warm up nicely when you use this technique)

15. Taste and add more salt (if necessary)
16. Serve on a plate and enjoy!



Pin It